There have been so many benefits with technological advancements over the last couple of decades. With technology becoming so accessible we are seeing kids spending more time behind screens whether it’s their phone, tablet or the television.
How can we decrease screen time and keep our kids moving?
As a parent it can be a challenge, so we are here to help. Our goals are to make active play easier and provide avenues for your kids to stay moving. Let’s go over 6 ways to keep healthy activity a part of your child’s life.
Introduce activity early
- If you have a toddler, research and pick a daycare that spends more time outside
- Walk with your child to their school or daycare if it is within walking distance
- Introduce organized activity and different sports.
Set an example
- Your kids are always watching and learning from you, if you live an active life it will be easier to pass it on to your kids
- Guide and teach your kids to make healthy and active choices. For instance, taking the stairs instead of the elevator
- Encourage participation in community events like charity walks/runs as a family.
Limit time in front of a screen
- Don’t leave a TV in your child’s bedroom
- Set boundaries for tv/video game time
- Check out programs at the local community centre
- We have mentioned organized activity, but sport can have so many developmental benefits from building coordination, communication and teamwork skills.
- Although this might not be very fun, chores like shovelling and raking the leaves are physical activity. Get your kids involved to learn to work together as a family and it also helps decrease your workload!
- For a family vacation pick an active destination, for example, one with hiking trails
- Plan family activity weekends, you can go biking, swimming and play outdoor games…the possibilities are endless!
Implement some of these tips if you are struggling to keep your kids active, and remember to have fun and move!