Identifying the signs of a sleepy baby sounds easy, but for many new parents it is something very distant and believe it many do not know how to identify when the baby is sleepy that is why putting the baby to naps or sleep at night seems impossible.
Liliana Amaro Child Sleep Coach shares this list that has been compiled during the years of work helping families sleep.
- Yawns: Very common just when they are ready to sleep this signal is presented if you could lie the baby right after the first yawn it would be ideal.
- Red eyes: When a baby is tired and ready to sleep, the eyes usually become watery and red, a sign that they are ready to close and rest.
- Constant blinking: Like the previous signal, blinking constantly means that the eyes are ready to close and almost involuntarily the blinks fall and fall, but the baby tries to open them, it is when they say that he resists sleeping, help him by placing him in a dark environment so that they do not open anymore.
- Crying for no reason: It is when the baby can no longer with fatigue, wants to sleep, but cannot do it, the nervous system is altered and over tiredness makes it cost more work for the baby to fall asleep. This is a strong signal and indication that you should try to put him to sleep before it is later.
- Touching the eyes: this signal is accompanied by the other signs related to the eyes and it is normal that when blinking and having red eyes the child touches them without stopping
- Lack of concentration: A sign that you cannot doubt when you try to entertain a baby and completely ignores you.
- Lack of appetite: When you want to feed him and the child does not even open his mouth, he goes back or refuses to eat, he can end up in tears. It’s better to stop and try to put him to sleep
- It refuses to bathe: Nobody wants to be wet when they just want to sleep, normally the baby will cry and we think he does not like to bathe, but it is not so, most babies enjoy being bathed, but at the right time, bathing an extremely tired baby is a very bad idea. If you spend the time of your bath, it is better to skip it.
- They lie on your shoulder: A lovely sign, when the baby lies on your shoulders when carrying it or constantly puts the little head on its side anywhere it can, it is better to take it to bed. This sign occurs in still babies
- Hyperactivity! The most common is and the most mentioned by parents “my child has a lot of energy before sleeping” is when the window of opportunity to put him to sleep is gone and the baby enters a new phase of energy. It is difficult to put a baby at this stage, it is usually recommended to let 30-45 mins pass before trying again and trying in a quiet environment.